The 2014 Hopman Cup will be played at the Perth Arena from 28 December 2013 to 4 January 2014. Read on to find out who is playing the star studded line up.
The Hopman Cup 2014 Teams
I love the Hopman Cup. The tournament always attracts great players, which makes for great tennis, and the format of men and women playing together in a team for their country is really unique. Plus it signals the start of the 2014 Australian Open series.
The teams are listed in order of seeding, with the player’s world rankings as at 9 December 2013 shown in brackets:
1. Poland – Agnieszka Radwanska (5) and Grzegorz Panfil (replaces Jerzy Janowicz)
2. USA – Sloane Stephens (12) and John Isner (14)
3. France – Alize Cornet (27) and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (10)
4. Canada – Eugenie Bouchard (32) and Milos Raonic (11)
5. Czech Republic – Petra Kvitova (6) and Radek Stepanek (44)
6. Italy –Flavia Pennetta (31) and Andreas Seppi (25)
7. Australia – Sam Stosur (18) and Bernard Tomic (51)
8. Spain – Anabel Medina Garrigues (100) and Daniel Munoz-De La Nava (replaces Tommy Robredo)
The high world rankings of all the players in the tournament, with all but one woman in the top 35 and all but one man in the top 25, should result in plenty of great matches.
Four Past Winners Are Playing Again
Amongst the players in this year’s field are several past winners:
2013 Champion – Medina Garrigues (Spain)
2012 Champion – Kvitova (Czech Republic)
2011 Champion – Isner (USA)
2010 Champion – Robredo (Spain)*
*Since writing this article, Robredo has withdrawn due to injury.
With each player guaranteed three singles matches at the Hopman Cup they should all be well prepared for the Australian Open. Personally, I’m really happy that Sam Stosur has chosen the Hopman Cup as part of her AO Readiness.
Links to Rankings
Also read How the Hopman Cup Tournament Works and View the Schedule of Play.
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal