We’re now at the end of Round 3 of the Australian Open 2012. Here’s a quick review of the Top 4 Men and Women, Round 4 matches, Aussies, incidents and more.
The Top 4 Men and Women are all still in the draw
- Straight sets wins over Lorenzi, Giraldo and Mahut
- Djokovic has only lost 10 games during the first 3 rounds
- Straight sets wins over Kuznetsov, Haas, Lacko
- Straights sets wins over Kudryavtsev, Beck withdrew injured (so Roger missed out on playing on Hisense Arena), straight sets over Karlovic
- Dropped a set to Harrison, straight sets over Roger-Vasselin and Llodra
- Won against Rodionova, Tatishvili and Niculescu
- Won against Dushevina, Suarez Navarro and Kirilenko (retired)
- Won against Watson, Dellacqua and Barthel
- Won against Dulko, Hampton and Kerber
Round 16 Matches – Men
Sunday 22 January
- Kohlschreiber v Del Potro (MCA)
- Tomic v Federer (RLA Night Session)
- Berdych v Almagro (Hisense)
- Lopez v Nadal (RLA Day Session)
Monday 23 January
- Djokovic v Hewitt
- Murray v Kukushkin
- Gasquet v Ferrer
- Tsonga v Nishikori
Round 16 Matches – Women
Sunday 22 January
- Wozniaki v Jankovic (RLA Night Session)
- Clijsters v Li Na (RLA Day Session)
- Azarenka v Benesova (RLA Day Session)
- Georges v Radwanska (Hisense Arena)
Monday 23 January
- Makarova v Williams
- Lisicki v Sharapova
- Errani v Zheng
- Ivanovic v Kvitova
- The crowds this year have been massive. The Saturday day session, including Ground Passes, was sold out by yesterday. Last year there was a record crowd on the middle Saturday with a total of over 77,000 people attending the day and night sessions. Wonder what today’s numbers will be?
- Although there have been some pretty hot days, it hasn’t rained yet and today is maximum of a comfortable 26 degrees C. Hope it keeps up!
The Nalbandian Incident
- Here’s a good review of the incident which happened towards the end of a huge Round 2 five set match between David Nalbandian and John Isner.
- Here’s John McEnroe’s take in a video interview with FoxSports
- Later Nalbandian received a USD 8,000 fine which was originally reported as being for “unsportsmanlike conduct” for an “unspecified incident”. Details from Fox Sports.
- FoxSports have also reported David Nalbandian to fight $8000 fine for allegedly throwing water at Australian Open official (watch the vid of Pat Cash and John McEnroe discussing the situation)
- Here’s an interesting article written following the match on something I was wondering about Is it time to implement a Do-Over rule in tennis?
Hope to see you back for AO 2013 Nalby 🙂
- Sam Stosur lost to Sorana Cirstea in the first round.
- Read Sam’s reaction on her blog. Look forward to seeing you back slamming in Paris, Sam!
- Lleyton Hewitt’s experience is paying off to beat Stebe in Round 1 and Raonic in Round 3. Roddick retired injured during their Round 2 match. Next Hewitt faces Djokovic.
- Bernard Tomic is doing well winning against Verdasco, Querrey and Dolgopolov to make it to a fourth round match against Federer. Read Tomic outlasts Dolgopolov to reach the fourth round.
- I’m also looking forward to seeing more of James Duckworth in future tournaments after watching his second round match against Tipsarevic which he eventually lost in 4 sets.
Other Aussie Men
- Ebden lost to Nishikori in Round 2, Matosevic lost to Monfils in Round 1, Jones lost to Dolgopolov in Round 1 and Mitchell lost to Isner in Round 1.
Other Aussie Women
- Holland lost to Peer in Round 1, Bobusic lost to Kerber in Round 1, Dokic lost to Bartoli in Round 2, Gajdosova lost to Kirilenko in Round 1, Rodionova lost to Wozniaki in Round 1, Dellacqua lost to Azarenka in Round 2, Barty lost to Tatishvili in Round 1 and Rogowska lost to Li Na in Round 2
- For the first time since 1973 no American man will reach the Round of 16
- Andy Roddick retired due to injury during his match against Hewitt on Thursday night, which also means he couldn’t play Mixed Doubles with Serena
Baghdatis Racquet Smashing
- Baghdatis smashed four racquets in rapid succession during his match against Wawrinka and was fined.
Finishing on a nice note, here is a vid of Rafa at the Melbourne Aquarium.
Bring on Week 2!
Grand Slam Gal