Juan Martin Delpotro started the year ranked in the hundreds, and has finished up 2011 ranked Number 11.
I originally wrote this article during the French Open but have updated it with some more recent pics.
It’s great news that Delpo will be back in Australia in January, starting with the APIA International in Sydney.
Photo source Reuters/Marcos Brindicci
Delpo, here are 7 reasons why we love you so
1. He won the US Open in 2009, beating Federer in an epic 5 setter (tough match to win, enough said)
2. The US Open 2009 final was the first Grand Slam final he played in, and he was only aged 20 at the time
Here is a video flashback
3. After being out injured for 10 months, he made great progress in 2011, winning two tournaments; the Estoril Open on clay and Delray Beach on hardcourt. He also made the final in Vienna, losing to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
Photo source AP Photo/Lynne Sladky
4. He is a Tennis Player, and a Gentleman, through and through
5. Sometimes words are enough, especially if you have Delpo’s Argentinian softly spoken, sleepy accent
The video confirms it
6. The muscle shirt (which men many before him have tried and failed)
7. The hard to define greatness that “melts the heart” of his fans
8. More evidence that he’s just an all around great guy!
Pic from Twitter courtesy of @MardyFish
9. He showed such heart while playing for Argentina in the Davis Cup against Spain.
Delpo played the fourth round of the Davis Cup final against Rafa. With Spain having a 2-1 lead going into the match, it was a must win for Delpo to keep Argentina in contention. He eventually lost in 4 sets but showed that he’s definitely back at home on the tennis court!
Photo by AP Miguel Angel Morenatti
That’s my view, with a big thank you to the gals from Twitter for all their input 🙂
I’m sure there are other reasons why you love Delpo so. Leave a comment and let me know.
Until next time