The 2011 Australian Open sure was a whole new level!
Day after day of incredible tennis, media stories, fashions on the field, unexpected upsets and unfortunately, painful injuries.
What a tournament!
Here are the moments that will be remembered. The good, the bad and the ugly.
- Men’s Final – Djokovic beats Murray in straight sets, a clear victory for Djokovic and sure, Murray could have played better but am feeling sorry for him having to face the media… he is probably 100% Scottish by now, right? Anyways, the $AUD 1,100,000 runner up prize money should make him feel better.
- Women’s Final – Kim Clijsters beating Na Li in 3 Sets
- In her winner speech (no Jada in sight) Kim thanks her dentist, her uncle’s ugly green trousers and says she is now truly “Aussie Kim”. Thanks Kim, looking forward to having you in the Aus Fed Cup team*
- In her runner up speech, Na Li says to her husband “It doesn’t matter if you are fat or thin, handsome or ugly, I will always follow you and love you”. Bless.
- The Bryan brothers win their 10th Men’s Doubles title
- The flock of seagulls dive bombing Murray v Ferrer, checking if the umpie had any fish and chips?
- Penetta and Dulko win their first Women’s Doubles title
- Justine retires, again
- Roger, outplayed by Djokovic and out before the final
- Ana and her stunning smile supporting Djokovic from his player box
- Na Li going through to the Women’s Final, and her hilarious media interviews joking about her husband and her mum
- Wounded Rafa refusing to retire injured and losing to Ferrer in the quarter final
- The Australia Day fireworks
- Lleyton’s value add to the Channel 7 commentary team*
- Alicia Molik’s value add to the Channel 7 commentary team*
- Rennae Stubbs retires from playing tennis, hope she keeps commentating!*
- The consistently good weather, if occasionally on the cold side, previously unheard of!
- Dolgopolov, his girlish yet secure hair band, and his be-u-ti-ful play
- Caro, the media and the kangaroo tale
- Shiavone and Kuznetsova, incredible tennis, longest women’s match ever
- Bionic qualifier Raonic makes it through to Round 4 – he’s definitely one to watch
- Rafa’s Armanic pics, mmmmmmm
- The middle Saturday getting sold out, 77000+ people attending
- Rafa’s Nike shirts, and his bigger Nike shirts, and his shirt changes
- Dolgopolov beating Soderling in 5 sets – didn’t see that coming
- Berdych versus Verdasco and the big match that wasn’t
- Berdych, dressed like a ball boy
- Verdasco, his mo-hawk and impressively powerful hair product
- Petko, dancing after the comprehensive win over Sharapova – In our poll, 91% of people love the Petko-Dance, the other 9% aren’t sure what to think
- Sam Stosur,losing to Petra Kvitova, not the home slam she was looking for
- Roddick in his magic red toed shoes, loses to Wawrinka
- Aussie boy Tomic and his glasses
- Marin Cilic beats John Isner in the 5 set battle of the big serves
- That dead spot in Hisense arena
- Del Potro, defeated by Baghdatis in the first week, doesn’t make the big come back he was looking for. Please be OK in the long run though Delpo
- Hewitt, loses a huge battle with Nalbandian in Round 1 – not the Australian Open title he was looking for
- Venus, retires injured against Petkovic
- Venus, the black studded mesh zipper combo ouftit, the yellow criss cross pie style number and plastic zippered top
- Caro’s ballet /netball combo dress
- Djokovic dancing with the Star
- That text message that Todd sent to Stubbsy about Kim
- Baghdatis, withdraws injured against Melzer due to an issue with his finger
- Troiki withdraws against Djokovic due to stomach issues
- Nandbandian, withdraws against Berankis, because everything is moving around
- There’s something about Berankis and his power serve, he’s definitely one to watch
- All those epic 5 set matches in the early rounds esp Federer v Simon
- All the names badly pronouned on TV; Gilles Simone, Marion Cilic, Michael Youzhny, David Fera, what the?*
- Mahut, just because, and because I’d love to see him styled by Venus
- Dinara’s comprehensive defeat by Kim, 6-0, 6-0
- The Rally for Relief, tennis players supporting the Queensland flood victims
* I’m in Australia so a few local references appear in the list.
Special mention goes to Twitter
Firstly @AustralianOpen The account grew from around 15,000 followers to 27,000 during the tournament, which is testament to the fabulous tweeting; comprehensive, all inclusive and endlessly entertaining!
Secondly, to all the other tennis tweeters. I have to say that I enjoyed the tweeting as much as the tennis.
Thanks Australian Open and everyone involved for putting on such a great show. I’ll be back next year. No question.
What moments from the 2011 Aus Open will you remember most? Let us know in the comments below.
Grand Slam Gal
Sign up and get articles delivered straight to your inbox, or connect via the links below.