Recap of what happened at the 2013 Sony Open in Miami and a preview of what’s coming up in Men’s tennis in April.
Sony Open Tennis, Miami, Florida: Serena Williams and Andy Murray take home the titles
The 2013 singles titles were won by Serena Williams, who defeated Maria Sharapova 4-6, 6-3, 6-0, and Andy Murray who beat David Ferrer 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 after saving one match point himself.
Serena’s win is a record sixth title at Crandon Park, Miami, surpassing Steffi Graf’s five victories. Murray is a second time winner in Miami and now has nine ATP Masters 1000 titles to his name. With this victory Murray will rise to number 2 in the ATP rankings, overtaking Roger Federer.
Check out this Sony Open Tennis Review video by the ATP (it’s a fab vid, definitely worth a look!)
With Federer and Rafael Nadal not playing in Miami the draw was more open than usual and before the tournament started the question was “which players would take advantage of this opportunity?”.
After making the final at Indian Wells, there were big expectations for 5th seed Juan Martin Del Potro. In one of a number of Miami surprises Del Potro lost in the second round to Tobias Kamke 7-6, 6-1.
Tommy Haas, 15th seed, had a great run to the semi-finals in the top half of the draw, beating Alexandr Dolgopolov, Novak Djokovic and Gilles Simon along the way. He eventually succumbed to Ferrer 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.
In the bottom half of the draw Richard Gasquet defeated Tomas Berdych at the quarterfinal stage 6-3, 6-3, before falling to Murray in the semi-final 6-7, 6-1, 6-2.
Read about the Sony Open Tennis plans for renovating Crandon Park, Miami.
Preview of Men’s Tennis in April
5-7 April Davis Cup World Group Quarterfinals
- USA v Serbia, Indoor hard court
- Canada v Italy, Indoor hard court
- Argentina v France, Outdoor clay court
- Kazakhstan v Czech Republic, Indoor clay court
Find out who is in the Davis Cup teams
ATP Tournaments in April
April means clay time. Good for exciting tennis, not so good for those going if you’re allergic to clay!
There are seven ATP clay tournaments in April. Watch for an update soon on who is playing where and the important details for each tournament.
- Grand Prix Hassan II, Casablanca, Morocco, ATP 250, Prize money €410,200
- US Men’s Clay Court Championship, Houston, USA, ATP 250, Prize money $455,775
- Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters, Monte-Carlo, Monaco, ATP 1000, Prize money €2,646,495
- Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell, Barcelona, Spain, ATP 500, Prize money €1,708,875
- BRD Nastase Tiriac Trophy, Bucharest, Romania, ATP 250, Prize money €410,200
- Portugal Open, Oeiras, Portugal, ATP 250, Prize money €410,200
- BMW Open, Munich, Germany, ATP 250, Prize money €410,200
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal
Win a gorgeous Emily Austin tennis necklace! Women’s tennis blog are giving one away as it is their sixth birthday- enter here: http://www.womenstennisblog.com/2013/04/03/win-emily-austin-crystal-tennis-necklace/#comments