A fan’s eye view of Day 9 at the Australian Open.
It was a top day of men’s quarter-final tennis today. Ferrer fans had a scare when he went down 2 sets to 0 to an on fire Almagro. Ferrer held his nerve to comeback and win in 5. Personally I’m glad Ferrer won but well-played to Almagro, who suffered from cramping in the final set. Playing like that we’ll see him in semi-finals soon.
In the post match interview Jim Courier asked Ferrer
You played for 3 hours 44 minutes, are you tired?
Ferrer’s answer was
Today’s second men’s quarter-final between Djokovic and Berdych was also a high quality match which Djokovic won in 4 sets. The match lasted exactly half the length of Djokovic’s fourth round match against Wawrinka (2 hours 31 minutes).
After his win today Djokovic can’t lose his number one ranking based on the Australian Open results.
The Djokovic v Ferrer semi-final will be on Thursday.
For the ladies, Li Na defeated Radwanska in straight sets, as did Sharapova over Makarova. The Li Na v Sharapova semi-final will be played on Thursday afternoon.
Stay tuned for photos of today’s matches in the next day or so.
- No. 2 seed Maria Sharapova d Ekaterina Makarova 6-2, 6-2
- No. 4 seed Na Li d Agnieszka Radwanska 7-5, 6-3
- No. 1 seed Novak Djokovic v Tomas Berdych 6-1, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
- No. 4 seed David Ferrer v Nicolas Almagro 4-6, 4-6, 7-5, 7-6, 6-2
Australian Open Day 9 Schedule
Rod Laver Arena Day Session
- Na Li d Agnieszka Radwanska 7-5, 6-3
- David Ferrer d Nicolas Almagro 4-6, 4-6, 7-5, 7-6, 6-2
- Maria Sharapova d Ekaterina Makarova 6-2, 6-2
Rod Laver Arena Night Session
- Novak Djokovic d Tomas Berdych 6-1, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
Hopefully there will be nothing to report, but if there is you’ll find it here.
Updates from 2013 Australian Open so far
Day 8 Highlights
Other Tennis News
“I never beat him”. Looking for first win over Ferrer.
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal
P.S. Sign up for Aussie Summer of Tennis Daily Updates
Aussie Summer of Tennis Daily Updates will be written every day to help you stay up to date. If you’d like to get your copy delivered to your inbox, please sign up below