Review of the semi-finalists’ form at the completion of the quarter-finals of the 2013 Australian Open.
Form Guide After Quarter-Finals
Top Half of the Draw
No. 1 seed Victoria Azarenka
- Only dropped one set, in round 3 against Hampton, in reaching the semi-finals.
- Won 65 games and lost 26 in 5 matches against Niculescu, Danilidou, Hampton, Vesnina and Kuznetsova.
- Not yet played a tie-break.
- Served 10 aces and 22 double faults.
No. 29 seed Sloane Stephens
- Reached first grand slam semi-final defeating Halep, Mladenovic, Robson, Jovanovski and Serena Williams.
- Won round 4 and quarter-final matches in 3 sets.
- 69 total games won compared to 45 lost.
- Served 12 aces and 19 double faults.
- Won over 60% of points when first serve is in.
Bottom Half of the Draw
No. 2 seed Maria Sharapova
- Reached semi-finals losing a record low of 9 games, winning 60.
- Defeated Punchova, Doi, Venus Williams, Flipkens and Makarova. Winning 5 of 10 sets 6-0.
- Served 20 aces and 15 double faults.
- Hit 98 winners to 77 unforced errors.
- Won over 68% of points when first serve is in.
No. 6 seed Na Li
- Not yet dropped a set in reaching the semi-finals. Defeating Karatantcheva, Govortsova, Cirstea, Goerges and Radwanska.
- Won 63 games and lost 31.
- Served 14 aces to 15 double faults.
- Over 59% of first serves are in.
- Played and won one tie-break.
My heart says Stephens and Li Na through to the final, head says Azarenka and Sharapova.
Who would you like to win the semi-finals?
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal