The French Open 2011 at Roland Garros is off to a great start.
Maria Sharapova looks stunning in this Eiffel Tower inspired, custard and creme coloured dress. Definitely one of the nicest tennis looks I’ve ever seen.
AP Photo/Michel Spingler
And I quite like Caro’s ruffly adidas by Stella McCartney number too.
But somehow, I miss this kind of lary-ness…
Photo sourced from Styleite.com
Bouncy Balls, More Like “No New Balls Please”.
This year Babolat balls are being used at Roland Garros, rather than the Dunlop balls that are used that the other major clay court tournaments. Despite the word on the street that these balls will give some players an advantage, it seems the main sentiment is “No New Balls Please!”
- Sports Illustrated writes that the Balls are Faster, at least at first
- General agreement is that they are harder
- They bounce higher
- They are tougher on wrists and joints
- Some think fluffier
- Andy Murray would rather stick with the old balls
- Roger Federer agrees
- Michael Llodra threw them at a security guard (and then lost his match).
Sizzling Seeds – Round 1
There were unexpected losses by Cilic and Berdych, but all top seeds are still standing after Round 1.
- Novak Djokovic won in 3
- Rafael Nadal survived a 5 setter against Isner
- Roger Federer won in 3
- Andy Murray won in 3 (despite some un-necessary prolongation of the match)
- Robin Soderling won in 4.
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal
25 May 2011
P.S. Don’t miss any French Open updates! Sign up and get articles delivered straight to your inbox, or connect via the links below.
And there was also that PVC type midriff number too! Hope she comes back soon.
I totally forgot about Venus’ ivy climbing outfit. LOL!