Sam Stosur, currently ranked No.10 in the world, beat Nadia Petrova in Round 3 of the US Open in 3 tough sets. For some, it was the best women’s match of the tournament so far. For certain it was the longest ever US Open women’s match during the Open era, lasting 3 hours and 16 minutes.
Sam looks incredibly on court right now.
To me, it feels like a lot of things have fallen into place to give Sam an incredible chance at making this her best ever US Open, especially given the top seeds who aren’t in the draw.
- Venus Williams withdrew prior to her second round match due to having an autoimmune disease called Sjögren’s Syndrome
- French Open champ Na Li lost in Round 1, as did Wimbledon champ Petra Kvitova
- Australian Open and US Open 2010 champ Kim Clijsters didn’t play due to injury
- Maria Sharapova lost in Round 3 to Flavia Pennetta
- Marion Bartoli lost in Round 2
Next up Sam plays Maria Kirilenko, and then would face either Lisicki or Zvonareva.
In the top half of the draw, Caroline Wozniaki remains along with Kuznetsova, Petkovic, Azarenka, Serena Williams and Schiavone.
Who do you think has the best chance of winning the US Open women’s final? (If you hover over any of the tennis players’ name in orange, you can share your thoughts by voting them up, or down)
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal
P.S. Would you like more US Open updates?
Sign up and get articles delivered straight to your inbox, or connect via the links below.
Photo: AP Photo/Elise Amendola