Here’s a recap of the great achievements and records broken by tennis players over the past few months.
- Federer returned to the No.1 position in the South African Airways ATP Rankings and has now been No.1 for a record 287 weeks, surpassing Pete Sampras’ record.
- Including his win at Wimbledon, Federer has won a record 17 Grand Slam titles.
- By winning her fifth Wimbledon title this year Williams became the first woman in her 30s to win Wimbledon since Martina Navratilova in 1990
- By winning her 43rd WTA Title at the Bank of the West Classic in Stanford, Williams is now tied with Venus for the most titles held by an active player.
- Murray is the first British man to reach the Wimbledon final since 1938.
- Nadal won the French Open a record seventh time, surpassing Bjorn Borg’s record of six titles
- He won the Barcelona Open for a record seventh time
- By winning Monte Carlo Nadal became the first ATP player to win a title for eight consecutive years.
- Cilic defeated Granollers to win the Croatian Open and became the first Croatian man to do so in 22 years. It was also his first career title on clay.
- Ferrer won his fifth title for 2012 at the SkiStar Swedish Open in Bastad and is tied with Roger Federer for the most titles this year.
Congratulations to Lleyton Hewitt who made it through to his first final since Halle in 2010 at the Campbell’s Hall of Fame tournament in Newport, which he lost to John Isner.
Are you aware of any noteworthy tennis achievements that I missed from the list? Please leave a comment and let me know.
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal