Wimbledon 2015 Week 1 has been awesome! So many memories already.
I had such a fabulous day at Wimbledon last Monday on Day 1 of the tournament. I was able to watch the Centre Court matches, see loads of players walking to and from the Practice Courts and catch up with friends. The weather was perfect, the tennis was high quality, the crowd was fabulous and we picked up an endless snack pack at Waitrose prior to arriving at the grounds.
My memories of Week 1 are:
- The glorious weather
- The heat wave that lasted all of two days
- The queue, which got filled, according to reports, earlier than ever before
- Seeing the beautiful Day 1 grass on Centre Court
- The lovely crowds
- Being able to see loads of players walking to and from the practice courts and signing autographs.
The match that stands out most in my memory is Muguruza v Kerber in Round Three. These ladies played incredible tennis for an incredibly long time. More memories (good and bad) are:
- Rafa being defeated by Brown in Round 2
- Williams defeating Watson in 3 sets in Round 3
- Bencic’s great run on grass
- Jankovic defeating defending champion Kvitova
- Verdasco playing hundreds (well 2 anyway) of 5 set matches
- Kygios and his ‘discussions’ with the linespeople and umpire
- Tomic’s outburst and the reaction by Tennis Australia
- Ward’s run to the third round
- Cilic v Isner being delayed overnight then finishing quickly
- Simon v Monfils being moved to Centre Court.
I asked my Twitter friends to share their best memories of Wimbledon Week 1. This is what they tweeted:
@GrandSlamGal I agree… Most memorable moment for me was the first set of Muguruza-Kerber. Best set of women’s tennis i’ve watched in 2015.
— James Peeling (@MooTennisBlog) July 5, 2015
On Watson v Williams
On Nadal v Brown
@GrandSlamGal ; Mine is Brown vs Nadal!
— MONIQUE SOURDIF (@moniquesourdif) July 5, 2015
On Hewitt/Kokkinakis in Doubles
Thanks to @pearlescent48 and @serb_it_out for sharing the photos below.
On other matches:
Thanks to everyone who contributed their tweets for this article. What did we miss? Please share your best Wimbledon Week 1 memories in the comment below.
View more photos from Wimbledon Week 1:
- Djokovic v Kohlschcreiber
- Sharapova, Stephens and Stosur
- The ladies at the Practice Courts
- The men at the Practice Courts
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal