Review of the top seeds’ form at the completion of the third round of the 2013 Australian Open.
Also have a look at the form guide for the Women going in to the Semi-Finals.
Form Guide After Round 3
Of the Top 4 ladies:
- Sharapova has lost only a total of four games in her first three matches.
- Serena has served 24 aces
- Azarenka is the only player from the women’s Top 4 seeds who has dropped a set.
Top Half of the Draw
No.1 seed Victoria Azarenka
- Azarenka has dropped only one set in her victories over Niculescu, Danilidou and Hampton. Winning 40 games and losing 18.
- Hitting approx 70% of first serves in. Serving 3 aces and 10 double faults.
Round 4 Opponent: Elena Vesnina
No.3 seed Serena Williams
- Serena Williams didn’t lose a game in her first round match with Gallovits-Hall, even after taking a medical time out from rolling her ankle. Dropping 6 games in the next two matches against Muguruza and Morita.
- Served 24 aces and 6 double faults. Winning nearly 90% of points when first serve is in.
- One serve in her Round 3 match was 207 km/h, which she also achieved two days before.
Round 4 Opponent: Maria Kirilenko
Bottom Half of the Draw
No.2 seed Maria Sharapova
- Sharapova didn’t lose a game in her first two matches against Puchkova and Doi and only dropped 4 games in her round three match against Venus Williams.
- Served 12 aces and 5 double faults. Averaging over 60% of first serves in.
Round 4 Opponent: Kirsten Flipkens is next for Sharapova, the winner then playing the victor from the Kerber/Makarova match.
No.4 seed Agniezska Radwanska
- Radwanska hasn’t dropped a set so far. Winning 37 games and losing 15. Pushed to 7-5 in the first set against Bobusic in the first round. Defeating Begu and Watson in the second and third rounds.
- Served 9 aces and 3 double faults. Winning around 65% of points when first serve is in.
Round 4 Opponent: Ana Ivanovic is next up, then Na Li/Goerges in the quarterfinal.
Also read the Form Guide for the Top 4 Men after Round 3.
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal
P.S. Sign up for Aussie Summer of Tennis Daily Updates
Aussie Summer of Tennis Daily Updates will be written every day to help you stay up to date. If you’d like to get your copy delivered to your inbox, please sign up below