A fan’s eye view of Women’s Final, Day 13 of the Australian Open.
2013 Australian Open Women’s Final
No.1 seed Victoria Azarenka defeated No.6 seed Na Li 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Both players were seeking to win their second Grand Slam title. Azarenka lead the head-to-head match-up 5-4.
It was a match filled with drama.
Azarenka coming to the match following her misunderstood comment after her semi-final win.
Li Na going over on her ankle during the second set, getting it taped, and going over again during the third set and hitting her head, creating worries of concussion.
Azarenka being watched by Redfoo wearing a leopard print jacket and patterned leggings.
Li Na having the majority of the crowd on her side.
Both players played well and it was the most interesting AO Women’s final that I can remember in a while (probably since Li Na was last in it!).
Vika did well in her winner speech after defending her crown, thanking everyone and being diplomatic.
For me, Li Na is the Queen, I’ll remember her spirit and her smile.
Read more in the Australian Open match review Twice is nice.
By the way, if you’re wondering if it’s Na Li or Li Na, here’s my article where she confirms.
Finalists’ Form Guide
- To reach the final Azarenka defeated Niculescu, Daniilidou, Hampton, Vesnina and Stephens.
- Only dropped 1 set in round 3 to Hampton.
- Won 77 games losing 31, scoring 449 total points.
- Served 12 aces and 28 double faults.
- Hit 128 winners and 133 unforced errors.
- Spent 8h 47m on court.
Road to the final
- Reached the final defeating Karatantcheva, Govortsova, Cirstea, Goerges, Radwanska and Sharapova.
- Yet to concede a set.
- Won 75 games losing 35, scoring 416 total points.
- Served 16 aces and 16 double faults.
- Hit 128 winners and 162 unforced errors.
- Spent 8h 32m on court.
Road to the final
News and Articles on the Finalists
Rod Laver Arena Schedule of Play
Junior Girls’ Singles Final
Ana Konjuh (CRO) v Katerina Siniakova (CZE)
Junior Boys’ Singles Final (not before 2:30pm local time)
Nick Kyrgios (AUS) v Thanasi Kokkinakis (AUS)
Women’s Singles Final (not before 7:30pm local time)
Victoria Azarenka v Na Li
Men’s Doubles Final
Bob Bryan/ Mike Bryan v Robin Haase/ Igor Silsling
Updates from 2013 Australian Open so far
Other Tennis News
Australian Cricket Legend Shane Warne can still take a catch on the big stage in the Federer – Murray Semi.
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal