This is such an awesome blog to write. Today Sam Stosur beat Serena Williams in the US Open Women’s Final. In 2 sets no less, (6-2, 6-3). What a great day for Sam, for Sam’s fans and for tennis in Australia.
The tournament started with a hurricane and ended with Sam on fire!
Photo source Philip Hall/USTA
Was it only a week ago that I wrote this article Go Sam, Go All the Way after she won an incredible 3 setter against Nadia Petrova? Since then she has beaten Maria Kirilenko, Vera Zvonareva and Angelique Kerber on the way to the final.
The final wasn’t without incident
There was an incident in the second set when Serena hit a winner that should have levelled the score to deuce. But instead, as Serena shouted “c’mon” too early ie before Sam hit the ball, the point was given to Sam and she got the break.
This fired Serena up and during the change of ends she continued to vent saying to the umpire that she was “out of control” and “unattractive inside”. It was a bit of a flashback to the incident when Serena was fined $82,500 after the US Open 2009 for screaming at a lineswoman during her semi final against Kim Clijsters.
She may have been a little rattled at first but Sam kept her nerve and went on to win the set and the match.
Photo Sourced from Sam’s Facebook page
A few stats on the win
- Sam is the first Australian woman to make the US Open final since Wendy Turnbull in 1977
- She is the first Australian woman to win the US Open final since Margaret Court Smith in 1973
- She is Australia’s first women’s final winner at a Grand Slam since Evonne Goolagong Cawley won Wimbledon in 1980
- Today is exactly 10 years since Lleyton Hewitt won the US Open
- Sam’s prize money for winning is $US 1.8 million.
Happy Days indeed!
Bring on Djokovic v Nadal in the Men’s Final tomorrow. Go Rafa!
Until next time
Grand Slam Gal